Originally erected in the 16th century, the Château de Noizay was rebuilt by Georges de Vercle and Andrée, Dame de Noizay, from 1514 to 1540 on the site of a feudal castle which had been there since the 12th century. Its history was marked by the religious wars between Protestants and Catholics when it was the stage of key episodes during the Amboise Conspiracy.
In 1560, when Francis II was still a minor, the Protestants, supported by the Prince of Condé, plotted to abduct the young king, who was under the influence of the Guise family. The Prince of Condé chose La Renaudie as ringleader for the plot; the troops were led by a nobleman by the name of Castelnau.
The Duke of Guise, frightened by this news, gathered his troops and re-located the court of the young king from the Château de Blois to Amboise, which was easier to defend. It was at this point that the Château de Noizay made its entrance into the history of France. The conspirators chose it as their headquarters because of its proximity to Amboise.
Their act of treason was to be their downfall. The Duke of Guise ordered the Duke of Nemours to lay siege to the Château de Noizay. After a bloody battle, La Renaudie was injured by an arrow from a crossbow and was brought back to the court of Amboise with his co-conspirators, where they were hanged from the château balcony, overlooking the Loire, as an example.
Since then, the Château de Noizay has played host to less bloody adventures and, over the centuries, has come to stand for a traditional Touraine way of life in the land of the Kings of France. Thus, the château belonged to different families until the mid-18th century when it was restored after a fire. The centuries have not diminished the aura of the building; it was renovated in 1989 to become a charming private estate, and converted into a 4-star hotel which retains all of its majesty of old. In the main entrance, you will find a wooden circular staircase illuminated by the La Renaudie and Castelnau stained glass windows.